The Nelson Poynter Memorial Library (NPML) Special Event Guidelines are designed to offer detailed information to ensure library users and visitors have a variety of safe and welcoming spaces that offer opportunities for learning, research, creative activities, and collaboration.
The following policies apply to all reservable spaces at the NPML. Note: The NPML does not employ an events manager. All events hosted in the library and its spaces are managed by the department or unit requesting use of individual spaces and the building (See "Special Event Sponsors" below). Library staff are not responsible for special event scheduling, set-up, or clean-up.
Special Event Sponsors
- Academic and administrative units on campus must designate a staff member as the "sponsor" or contact person for the event to be held in the library.
- The sponsor will be the primary contact between the campus unit hosting the event and the Executive Administrative Specialist (departments within USFSP and community partnership events) and/or the Marketing & Outreach Librarian (student & faculty events) and other Library staff as directed.
- The sponsor will be responsible for coordination with other campus entities, including Facilities, University Police, Catering, Student Centers & Events, and other units, for requests related to room set-up, catering, delivery, custodial, technology, security, parking, and other specialized services for their event.
- The sponsor is responsible for communicating library space and room-use policies and procedures to all outside vendors who service the event.
- Student organizations must identify a staff member to act as the Special Event Sponsor, who will be responsible for scheduling and will be on site for the duration of the event.
Guidelines for Use
- Following event approval by the NPML Campus Dean, spaces must be reserved in advance using the Room Reservation System. An event is not fully confirmed until a reservation for relevant spaces is confirmed by a library representative. The library is not responsible for making room reservations.
- Certain spaces may have different scheduling guidelines and procedures. A representative for the Library Campus Dean is available to consult on exceptions to scheduling mechanisms and policies.
Set Up and Use:
- All facilities requests need to be submitted and managed by the sponsor and not by the library. The sponsor is responsible for all communications with Facilities/Custodial Services.
- Events should take place during library open hours. One or more library staff members must be present in the building while an event is underway, and access will not be granted to public areas for times when the building is not open. *Exceptions may be made for events of high importance to the administration of the institution.
- Sponsors are responsible for set-up and clean-up of library spaces and to ensure that spaces are returned to the condition in which they were found.
- Furniture should not be moved unless prior approval has been granted by a Library Campus Dean’s representative. The event sponsor is responsible for any costs of moving furniture and returning it to the original location.
- All service items, equipment, and food must be removed, and waste should be collected at the conclusion of an event.
- Event sponsors are responsible for keeping library spaces and furniture in good condition. Any additional furniture (i.e., catering or registration tables and chairs) should be removed following the event.
- Sponsors are responsible for providing all food and beverages, table service, and utensils for an event. The library does not provide storage for catering. Sponsors serving alcoholic beverages must obtain approval from the University of South Florida Police Department as appropriate.
- The sponsor’s department/unit is responsible for any expenses that are required due to costs incurred for cleaning which is above and beyond a normal cleaning or for repairs to the library premises that are assessed after the event. Please contact the Executive Administrative Specialist at email@example.com (departments within USF St. Petersburg and community partnership events) and/or the Marketing & Outreach Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org (student & faculty events) with questions and for consultation on specific events.
NOTE: Use of the library’s public spaces must recognize that the space is still library space. Organizers and attendees of approved events must respect the students, their safety, and their need for quiet study space. Organizers and attendees must follow fire and other safety regulations and keep entrances and exits into the area unobstructed and may not have any lighted or flammable materials (except approved catering equipment).